Saturday, September 11, 2010

Catching Up on the 30 Day Challenge

I guess everybody's doing it so.....I'll try to catch up with this 30 Day Challenge.

Day 1-Favorite Song: "O Holy Night"   Depending on my mood, I love it performed classically--Barbara Streisand, Celtic Women or Andrea Bocceli, non-traditionally--Stephen Curtis Chapman, or instrumentally--John Fahey (guitar).


Day 2- Favorite Movie: Hmmmm, too many to choose just one...so my top 5: "12 Angry Men" (the original), "I Confess" (basically anything by Alfred Hitchcock), "Gone With the Wind," "A League of Their Own," and "Wizard of Oz"



Day 3-Favorite TV show: "West Wing" The last truly intelligent TV show ever made.




Day 4-Favorite Book: "The Chosen" and "My Name is Asher Lev" both by Chaim Potok. Read them years ago when I was in high school and found them amazing! The Chosen tells the story of the friendship between two Jewish boys growing up in 1940’s Brooklyn, New York. They meet for the first time as rivals in a softball game between their school teams that turns into a spiritual war.



Asher Lev, is about a boy born with a prodigious artistic ability into a Hasidic Jewish family, set in the 1950’s in the time of Joseph Stalin and the persecution of Jews in the Soviet Union. During Asher's childhood, his artistic gift brings him into conflict with the members of his devoutly religious sect, who value things primarily as they relate to their faith and who consider art not related to Judaism to be at best a waste of time and possibly a sacrilege. (Summaries are from Wikipedia)


Day 5-Favorite Quote: "There's no crying in baseball!"  It's from "A League of their Own."  I can make it fit most situations.  When I found out--after the fact of course--that there had been tryouts for the extras in the movie--all the players--that I hadn't heard about, I was very sad.  When I was younger, I really wanted to play baseball but couldn't 'cause I'm a girl.  I'm so glad girls have the opportunity to participate in sports today.



Day 6-20 of your Favorite Things:
1. Mama
2. Spending alone time with Mama
3. A really good workout
4. Taking Pictures
5. Music
6. A really good book--historical fiction
7. Swimming--especially open-water swimming
8. Vermont
9. Watermelon
10. Old musicals--Fred Astaire, Judy Garland
11. Singing in a choir
12. The ocean
13. Watching the sun set on the beach
14. Hiking on a crisp fall morning
15. Warm beet salad from our favorite restaurant
16. Playing catch
17. Coffee on the front porch in the quiet of the morning
18. Traveling
19. A soak in a hot tub on a cold night
20. A cup of tea in the evening


1 comment:

  1. O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song!!!!
    I love the "theres no crying in baseball" line..Ive even used it on my boys. I think I will have to pick up "The Chosen", that sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete